It is a small consolation to hear that the Newtown school had the best security practices in place, and responded appropriately and sacrificially. Yet when evil calls, we are all vulnerable. Ironically, it was just last week that I brought back an idea to help with consistency of understanding of our emergency procedures. I have the classified staff working on new clipboards with instructions and supports for every classroom. These should be ready for January. The District is currently printing copies of the recently updated Emergency Operations Manual for all staff. These were supposed to be in your hands this coming week. It is important that respond to parent concerns without creating fear in the children. Here is what I would like you to do this week:
- Read the District press release when I forward it to you tomorrow. It will give you the information shared with parents from the District Office.
- Keep conversations about the incident to a minimum and notify me if you have a student or students who appear to have increased anxiety that need to be addressed.
- Go ahead and practice lock-down procedures as an individual class; where you will go and what they should do. I think it is better in this format than as an entire school. This way students know it is practice and not alarming.
- Remind students that there are multiple reasons for a lock-down situation. Sometimes there is something going on in the community and we are to stay in lock-down mode.
- Keep your doors locked. Even if they are propped open it is quicker to lock-down from a consistently locked position.
- Make sure all visitors have a sticker. If not, do not be afraid to ask them to return to the office to check in. I know this would do nothing in a hostage situation, but it helps reassure parents that we are checking.
- The lunchroom entry should remain locked.
- The gate needs to be closed during school hours.
- We are looking into a keyless entry to the multipurpose room door that leads to the gym.
- Third grade should remain locked and encourage limited movement between buildings without adult supervision. This means emphasizing that students should use the bathroom on their way to recess rather than during class.

No comments:
Post a Comment