Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Professional Development

I WANT your feedback...
I just found out that I have professional development money that I still need to spend.  I hate just spending money, but feel that I have a great idea brewing that will impact achievement and help you as teachers with developing your practice.  Here is my DRAFT idea, for which I would like your feedback so that I can figure budgeting.

Things already taking place this summer include iPad use, Peak classroom management training, CCSS, and math unit studies.  We need time to share this out as well as begin to build team knowledge and work with the CCSS and literacy.  I have also ordered new online curriculum (I'll share in another post) that teachers will need time to evaluate and incorporate into lessons.

Therefore, my thought is to schedule a 'retreat' for teaching staff interested in participating.  Haven't figured venue (off site or school) because this idea is only hours old.  I'm thinking a two or three day choice offering.

  • Stipends for teachers who choose to attend.  
  • One and a half to two days would center around the Language Arts Common Core State Standards and non fiction mentor text and writing.  
  • Participants would receive an instructional book (electronic or traditional) and begin work to deconstruct the standards and write a unit or map instruction.  
  • Third day would be additional and center around new technology, iPads and online curriculum, and/or sharing of ideas and learning from those that attended the PEAK training in Vale, CO. 
  • Lunch could be included
  • Dates most likely in August -  8-10th, but would want to know preferences. 
Respond here or shoot me a text with your thoughts.  Tell your colleagues to check out this post and vote.  I'll add a poll to the sidebar regarding possible attendance.  The more I think about it, the more excited I get about this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment