Monday, May 30, 2011

Professional Development Days

We have this great opportunity to do some very meaningful work to prepare our way for next year and the years to come.  I hope that you find your time invested here of value for you and your future students. 

Since these are contract days you are expected to work under the guidance of District policy and Master Agreement which covers dress code and work hours.  Within the Master Agreement you are provided a 30-minute lunch.  I personally believe that the time spent with colleagues over a meal, as we did Friday, is valuable.  Therefore, except for Tuesday when we have a guest facilitator, you may adjust your schedules to accommodate a longer lunch for going out with colleagues if you wish. 

Tuesday
You should plan to be at work by 8:00.  We will start at 8:30 in Kim's room.  Cathy Beals, will facilitate the day.  The first part will be a short overview of the work of the week.  You will then be allowed to work with your colleagues during the majority of the day with Cathy available to support and clarify.  (Think of how we did our RtI work in March).  We will be mixing everything you know of assessment, Learning By Design, MTI, curriculum mapping, data based decisions and common core standards to develop grade level unit studies.  This will be centered around our math curriculum but you will have the option to branch out into other subjects as your team sees fit.
By the end of the week you might even have your long range plans written for next year.  Wouldn't that be cool to turn those in and mark that off your fall to do list?

Support Personnel
I want everyone to start together on Tuesday morning as the process of curriculum mapping fits every subject area.  When we break into grade level teams, I would like to meet with you and map out your work and schedule according to your needs.  Some of the work I would like you to accomplish is developing our positive behavior intervention support plan.  We need to look at what we have in place, what needs adjustment and what we still need.  Then I would like this put into a written document so that staff can reference it as needed.  Support personnel has an optimal view of working with all teachers and all students, so your work in this area is key.  BUT - if your program benefits from working with grade levels during their curriculum mapping and unit study development I want you to be able to participate there.

Wednesday
On Wednesday I would like you to work as a grade level to divide students up into classes for next fall.  We need to complete this early in the week so that Lisa and Yvonne can do the work of assigning students in Skyward.  You may also schedule  half of a day to complete work in your rooms.

Thursday, Friday, Monday
Write a draft of your work schedule for the remaining three days.  I think you will have plenty of work designed by your team.  I don't think you will be able to do all that you or I have dreamed up. You should be able to "show" how your time was used at the end of the professional development days.  I expect you to have some units or documents that illustrates the work of these days that will be used to guide instruction next year.  If you come up wondering what to do next, refer to this list for ideas:
  • Review spring data to evaluate instruction and programs from this year
  • Review current data to prepare for incoming students (PMA, ISAT, IRI)
  • Discuss standards and curriculum maps for vertical alignment with grades above & below
  • Meet with grade level team in District to finish any grade book adjustments (check early in week to coordinate schedules)
  • Help Robin create the school professional development plan for next year
  • Continue work on your portion of the RtI document
  • Work with PBIS committee to share your ideas and develop plans
  • Develop grade level plan to address improvements in Language instruction.
  • Discuss other option and grade level needs with Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment