Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Hope you are all having a wonderful spring break.  I have spent much time relaxing.  Hard to believe huh? There are some major things coming up soon.  Please make sure you review the entire blog for updates and information.  Our first week back will be a fast and long one with parent conferences added in for two nights.  Stay focused on the purpose and ask for help when needed.  We will get through the week together. 

Last October I shared with you the data about the effects of visual violent media on a child's brain.  Many of you even went as far as to survey your students as to their knowledge and use of video games. I shared with you the research of the improvements in testing performance by "detoxing" the brain.  This month Middleton has posted an event calendar encouraging families to turn off media and bond as a family.  The schools have agreed to help advertise.  I would like you to go a step further and challenge your students to unplug for all of April and possibly through ISAT testing.  Take the Challenge - Take Charge website has lesson plans as well as media monitoring sheets for students.  Please review these materials and incorporate some into your lesson plans.  At the very least, please discuss and challenge your students to participate.  At our school Leadership Team meeting we will discuss possible incentives for participation.

Monday, April 18th we are hosting a Family Math Night.  I am excited about this event and hope you will help encourage families to attend.  We have contracted with Cathy Beals, an MTI coach to arrange and lead the activities.  The idea behind this format is to allow families to experience the type of math learning that we are emphasizing in our classrooms.  Title I will combine this with their annual parent night.  This is a great opportunity for us to see and expand our own practice.  If you are willing to help us this night, please let me know.

Darcy has begun to schedule ISAT practice and training for students.  Please discuss with her your needs and desires for this.  Begin thinking about seating arrangements for the lab and identify those students who may need special attention.  Classified staff, I would like you to be prepared to drop other duties to help during ISATs as needed.  Fifth grade teachers, please let me know if you would like to test Science the first week or squeeze it in the final week of the testing window.

No comments:

Post a Comment