Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wednesday morning I hosted my first monthly conversations with parents.  I called this time Table Talk, and invited them in for an informal time of sharing.  The design is a brief presentation about one of our programs, then questions and answers.  Personnel issues or items that effect only one child or family will not be discussed in this open forum.  I had a wonderful group of parents show up.  I shared information and background of the Accelerated Reader program.  Each parent then signed up for the parent access to Renaissance Place.  They also posed some great questions and shared opinions for future communication.  I have just a few reminders as a result of their questions.
  • Any student who is reading fluently may participate in AR, including kindergarten or first grader readers.
  • Points are earned by students making them the sole owner.  Therefore they should be able to spend them at will, even if we think they are squandering them away.
  • Points are based upon the number of words read.  Points are the great equalizer for simple and advanced books.
  • Please set goals for students that are of appropriate challenge.  No reason to earn the same certificate over and over again.  Certificates should be an incentive also.
  • Advertise the big goals for the year now - 100= milkshake, 250= EA for the day, 500= lunch out with the principal
American Fidelity sign up sheets are posted in the window next to Lisa's office.   John will be here Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.  EVERYONE must make time to see him and sign off on your cafeteria plan.  He will locate in the little room between the workroom and the library.  (Sorry Dona.  Maybe we can find you a friend to eat with in the faculty room for three days.)

Concerns with advanced students or testing needs should run through Nicole & Angie with a cc: to me prior to seeking assessments through Rebecca.  While Rebecca is available and provides us valuable information and insight, we need to make sure all the right people are included in the conversations and determination meetings.

The College of Idaho Intro to Teaching students will return to us this fall.  There are about 13 looking for placements in classrooms Tues & Thurs 8-9:10 AM, beginning Tues Nove2. I have students for PE, Special ed, music, 3-third through fifth grade and 4-kinder through second grade.  I know it is a ways off, but please let me know if you are willing to host so that I can begin to make placements.

Bruce stopped by to ask for clarification regarding penmanship instruction in classrooms.  It has been awhile since we have discussed this as a staff, but here is my understanding.  Open Court expects cursive to be taught in second grade, but we decided to stay with third grade cursive instruction.  Third grade teachers teach proper letter formation and linking simple words.  Fourth grade has always reviewed and then expected cursive in written assignments.  If this is not accurate please let me know.  We can open it for discussion in leadership team if needed.

The Newsletter following the Board meeting had some great reminders of how to encourage good attendance.  Please read Dr. Bauscher's message.  It reminded me of our class contests to spell perfect attendance and the positive results.  I'd love to hear your ideas for setting up our trophy or class prize program again.

No comments:

Post a Comment