Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Our Friday Character Assembly may take a bit longer this time simply because we have to train them how to come in and go out.  :)  Without all the student achievement awards it may balance out.

I was typing up the 'final' Buddy Class lists adding the monthly assembly assignments and realized we have a glitch.  Funny thing is, first grade came down shortly after I discovered this to inform me.  Here is the glitch - we have Scott and Kyle together, which does not giving a variance to age grouping.  The easiest change I see is to move Jenna and Susan, but I just asked them to change a day ago.  Anyone else willing to change?  Here is the almost final Buddy Class list.

Next week the American Fidelity representative will be here.  Everyone must visit with her and sign off on options.  Tuesday morning she will be here at 7:30 to meet with new staff in the library to explain the options and hand out materials.  Others may attend if interested.  She will then post sign up sheets on the office window for available times Thursday and Friday.  Again - everyone must at least see her to sign off even if you have no changes to make.

There was an email sent out last week explaining the speaker fire at the High School.  This served as a reminder to all of us on proper use of the sound systems in classrooms.  These speakers and amplifiers are designed to transmit the sound from your computers.  We have moved beyond this to include the teacher's microphone, stereo systems and iPads.  Problems arise when switching between media sources since they are each set to different output volumes.  There is a risk of blowing a speaker or causing overheating as at the High School.  Please be careful to ALWAYS turn down the amplifier volume completely when switching between media.  Thank you.  I ask that you also continue to monitor projector bulb use.  Please turn off the projector when not in actual use.  These bulbs cost between $500-800 each.

Some have begun submitting copies of professional goals.  I will begin to review these this weekend (hopefully).  This year with the Students Come First legislation, teacher evaluations are to include 50% based on student achievement data.  Some portion must come from ISAT (according to the Feds).  Obviously not all of your goals will match to the ISAT, but I would like your goals to include some student growth data as a portion of your plans.  For example, if you are writing your goals around implementing CCSS through inquiry, how can you show formative/summative data on student growth. I will help with this as needed and we can have many future conversations, but begin to think in this direction.

Close the gate - Close the gate - Close the gate
This year with all of third grade out back in the modulars we have many nervous families.  I believe it will help to have the gate closed between 8:00 A.M. and 3:15 P.M.  This will control outside traffic and  encourage parents and visitors to use the front entrance.  Yesterday I walked out and closed the gate four times in an hour and a half.  I know it is a pain, but consider it a safety concern we are addressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment