Wednesday, July 4, 2012
Update July 4, 2012
I hope you are all having a wonderful summer and blessed holiday. I thought I would take a few moments to update you what's been happening around the school. I have been adding links regarding technology ideas, resources and articles. The vast amount of information out there continues to amaze me. Sometimes I have to say to myself, "Self, what would happen if you didn't know this information existed?" Then I'm ok to delete it without reading it. Then later I read my trash. :)
Staffing is shifting currently at Heights. I have nothing to announce at this time, but check back next week..... still looking for a music teacher, second grade teacher (not approved yet), and a GT teacher.
I have been trying to reschedule the CCSS training that I polled about in June. I have finally heard back from the company (yesterday) and they are looking for a presenter that can be here on the 23, 24 OR 30th of July. I will let you know as soon as we get a date. Again, this is being offered because of a last minute cancellation to a training some of us were registered for in May. It is now open to 20-35 of us. There is no cost to register you and there is no stipend for attending. It is just another opportunity for gaining as much information as we can regarding the CCSS.
I am still planning two days of CCSS inservice work August 9-10, facilitated by the Boise State Writing Project (BSWP). I am working to provide a small stipend for teachers that choose to attend. The focus will be on grade levels creating inquiry units to incorporate the CCSS possibly combining Language standards with Social Studies or Science. The majority of the time will be working in teams with the assistance of BSWP coaches. I am also going to try to set up credit through NNU for CCSS work this year for those that are interested.
I registered first and second grade teachers in the RazKids program through A-Z Learning. You should receive an email to your school address that will allow you to set up your account. This is the program that I purchased for reading practice rather than having accounts in Accelerated Reader. If there are a few first or second grade students who are already proficient readers we can make exceptions to which program they access. Waterford can be used for Kindergarten and intervention for others. Accelerated Reader and STAR was ordered for third through fifth with RazKids available for intervention. We will still have the other programs for fluency and interventions also.
Espresso and Discovery Education are now available. Discovery Ed will be hosted through the State and therefore access to your accounts will go through the ISEE website. Espresso, which is similar to Discovery Ed but targets primary grades is available now. It is available to all of our school staff so I encourage you to check it out even if you teach upper grades. Just know that the 'sweet spots' for the two programs are slightly different. To set up your Espresso account go to www.espressoeducation.com and use the group code MHETCH.
I have heard nothing but wonderful feedback from the team that attended the PEAK training in Vale, Colorado. They hosted a dinner to share their experience and ideas with me. I think we will see some great things in their classrooms this year. What they learned is seems basic and simple but will require some dedication to continually implement. They are planning to meet regularly to encourage and support each other in their new learning. What a great way to make sure that inservice results in changed practice. Scott, Kim, Stephanie S., Susan, Cheryl and Kayla are the ones to ask and watch.
Other training that is still to come: Best Practices Workshops - Jayna and Jelena are attending in Payette, Suzette and I attending in Wendell. Angie, Jelena, Jayna and Bruce will be attending Edufest the end of July which is always rated high.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment