Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thursday, May 10, 2012

End of year information
  • If you have a laptop and want to check it out for the summer, please complete the form and submit to DARCY. 
  • If you have a laptop and DO NOT want to take it home, please turn it in to Darcy so she can log it, secure it and have updates installed over the summer.
  • Leave computers in classrooms plugged in so that updates can be done easily over the summer. 
  • Make sure any technology needs are submitted in ITAssist so that they can be addressed over the summer. 
  • Teacher contracts will be offered by July 1.  An email will be sent to your District email account notifying you of their availability.  You may either check your email regularly or forward email to a personal account.  I will also send a text to the 'phone tree' recipients notifying you of contract availability.  (The reason they are not offered before school is out is due to the timing of negotiations and District budget creation.)
You may already know this, but it has helped me immensely the last couple of months while I have been using it.... I get lots of email and need to know how to deal with them.  There are lots of tricks and organizational ideas, but one I have tried and like is moving email to my appointment calendar for the date I will need it.  For example, Lisa Harris has been sending emails back and forth coordinating a parent meeting regarding a student.  When I got the final email from the parent confirming, I highlighted the email in the mailbox, clicked and dragged it over to the calendar in the favorites column.  That opens the appointment calendar where I select the date I want to deal with it or the date and time of the event.  It automatically gets moved from my inbox.  I know it won't get buried and forgotten.  It is dealt with until the time I need it, reducing clutter from hundreds of emails a day.  :) 



Chips and Salsa at Sully's in Star!   Come one come all.  Just take a break with us Friday after school.



Monday I need two educational assistants to help Toni with inventory and cleaning in the gym.  This was part of the agreement of her hosting all the fitness picnics here the week after two days of Extravaganza events.  Dona and Letti should focus on helping Greg with inventory and paperwork Monday and Tuesday, with Konnie and Rhonda helping with Title I.  Marilyn will be needed by Tiffany at PS on Monday.  We will use all educational assistants extra days (Wed afternoon, Thursday and Friday) to complete school inventories and clean up.

Lost and Found please get FOUND!  Please walk students past the lost and found frequently now till the end of the year to claim their personal belongings.

I had a lovely conversation with a parent of some of our newest students during the L21C family event on Tuesday evening.  This father made a special effort to share with me his first impressions of our school.  They are extremely grateful for the welcoming attitude from the entire staff, even though they enrolled in our final weeks of school.   He referred to Lise and other teachers who approached them while they completed paperwork, introduced themselves and spoke invitingly towards the children.  The classrooms have helped the children connect with new friends and everyone is thrilled with their move.  Father went on to say that he was in the copier repair business for years and therefore was in and out of schools all of the time.  He said it is very easy to 'feel' the culture of the school from the entry and the faculty room.  Happily he reports that our school not only passed the litmus test, but far exceeded the families expectations.  One more time you show yourselves to be the pride of the State! 

Last Push for Passing and We NEED Your Help!
Saturday the Levy committee needs about 12 people to assist with hanging door knockers and passing out precinct maps.   This job does not require you to knock on doors or talk to people.  The mapping is determined already.   They will be meeting at the Middle School parking lot at 2 PM.  If you can help, shoot me an email so I can give them a count of supporters.

Tuesday, we want all that can help us at the rally downtown or calling and texting yes voters to ensure that they make it in to vote.  Headquarters are at the Methodist Church.  Pizza and drinks will be available.  You can bring signs to hold on the street or phones and laptops to use in contacting our YES list.  With two polling places downtown and the old Ridley's parking lot being torn up, parking will be at a premium for those going to the polls.  We suggest one of the following parking locations for District supporters:
First best location -- Spencer's Music parking lot off of HW 44 [20 cars]
                                   106 East Main street
Second best location -- On both sides of  street [south of HW 44]
                                    beside the Methodist Church {room for 15 cars}
                                        South 1st Avenue
Next best location -- Our District Fine Arts parking lot [holds 60 cars]
                                    115 West Main Street

Next Week
  • Grades and comments should be done and ready on Monday.  You should run a check and look to make sure they appear as you wish and all grades are listed.  I will print report cards and post to Family Access first thing Wednesday morning.  If you have students that require a mailed copy we can help with that. 
  • Remember to send home all school supplies and backpacks on Tuesday. Students are not to bring backpacks on Wednesday.  The main reason is the bus and sneaking water balloons and shaving cream for messy fights on the last day.  If a child is picked up by parents and forgets and brings a backpack, we can keep it at the office until the end of day if needed. 
  • Students are not allowed to do t-shirt signing or writing on each other. 
  • Celebration lunch will be provided to all staff who want to participate.  We will have it hosted here at the school in the library.  I would love for everyone to attend and finish the year with us, but I know Bruce and Lisa can not attend and a few marked no on the blog.  You are not required to join us, but please let Lisa or I know in the next day or two so that I don't order food for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment