*Side note: we will have a teacher meeting on Thursday for teachers receiving their iPad or iTouch for the classroom.
I reviewed all of the data and comments shared through the single gender survey. There was overwhelming support for this work. It is interesting to feel an undercurrent of progress with interest expanding grades and people, yet another feeling of the typical lull of new implementation requiring review and update of information. This just means that as we continue to move forward we need to review our history and purpose.
I spent the weekend trying to create and infographic through a new website to display the comments submitted on the single gender class survey given to staff. I keep losing my creation, so am resorting to a simple blog post for now. I'll keep trying to conquer this new presentation for the future. Since the surveys are anonymous, I can not ask clarifying questions from some, so will post information and hope that if you have more comments you will be willing to share them with me directly.
- Overall reactions?
- "Teachers should have choice and not be coerced or intimidated." This took me a bit to process since I have always felt that we would only offer where we had willing teachers. The Leadership Team deciphered this to mean that maybe people felt pressure from self or others to do their part - since others are doing it, maybe I should do it kind of feeling. Rest assured that you are not required to teach single gendered classrooms.
- One comment stated that the research is on middle school students and questioned if we are pushing this too soon. ACTUALLY, brain research shows that the greatest difference in brains based on gender is at the earlier ages. It is the order in which the brain function develops, rather than the brain itself. So a five year old girls brain is more similar to a ten year old girls brain than it is to a five year old boys brain.
- Teachers are the most important aspect on positive growth for students. ABSOLUTELY! Glad we have so many great ones in our school.
- Men should teach the boys classes. There is no research to support this. We teach all kinds of students. Gender separate classes is a form of differentiation, women have effectively taught boys for hundreds of years.
- Other comments?
- Citizenship expectations appear to be lower for boys. I'm not sure what this opinion is based upon. When I tour the classrooms with guests, I never find the boys classrooms in more disarray than others, and often they are more controlled. I have greater discipline referrals from the mixed gender classrooms - but this may be due to the fact that we have more of them. When I list our behaviorally challenged students for the school, most are in mixed gender classrooms.
- Would like to see the data not just opinions. Excellent request. Here it is. First, our 2004 data which led us to set the goal of learning how to teach boys so that they achieved. Next a table from the Nation's Report Card. This shows how the reading gap between girls and boys has NOT changed for the nation. Finally, our 2011 ISAT data showing that we not only closed the gap while improving achievement for all, but the boys actually beat the girls by a bit.
- Answers to choice questions that surprised me:
- Many indicate that they do not adjust approach to accommodate gender differences. This tells me that I need to review some of the brain research recommendations. Things like, problem solving issues or instructing small groups of boys side by side rather than face to face. They may see this as intimidating and shut down or lie. I problem solve sitting next to boys, then move face to face to discipline or apply correction. Girls on the other hand generally like to read your face during instruction or correction.
- Our expectations should be the same for ALL. Our approach can be adjusted for greater benefit.
- Some have asked for more training.
- The best I can offer are books for book studies, books for application, webinars, and there is a summer online course that I posted a few weeks ago. I could set up credit for professional development for next year if there was enough interest.
Thank you again for responding to the survey. Deb Yates is tallying the data and examining it for trends. When she has it compiled into graphs and tables I will post again. Until then, grade levels should set plans for next year. No pressure, just let me know.
The Associated Press will be here Wednesday to use us as part of a National story on single gender class options.
No comments:
Post a Comment