Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Your efforts to teach, expect and correct student behaviors in the hall has already paid big dividends.  The halls are much quieter and classes are less distracted by those passing by.  Continue to be vigilant in this instruction and model ways they can say hello to us without words (waving and smiling).  I have copies of matrix notes from kindergarten, Darcy and Linda.  I would like any notes from other teams so that we can incorporate your suggestions in the behavior matrix and get then get consensus from all staff members.  The School-Wide Positive Behavior Intervention Support (SWPBIS) team meets Monday and could deliver your suggestions.



Following my playground post earlier this week I had two teachers ask about the boundaries.  I am glad they asked rather than do an "Emperor's New Clothes" action and pretend they knew.  I'm going to define them here for everyone but if I am incorrect (if you agreed on something different earlier) let me know.  We all need to be on the same page.  The main point is for older and younger students to have separate fields to help prevent injuries and reduce opportunities for bullying.  In the morning when first, third and fifth are out, first grade has the field between the swing sets, fifth grade the football field straight out and third grade the field between the kickball and football fields.  Second and fourth grade recess, fourth graders get the larger football field.  In the afternoon we switch and 1-3 is out together; first field is still between the swing sets, third can have the football field with second on the soccer field next to the kickball field. 

I recognize that you may feel overwhelmed with the deadline of grades and report card comments this quarter, because it is new.  I encourage you to do as much as you can early, keeping up with grade entry.  Comments can be kept to a minimum also.  Those can also be put into the grade book now.  Plan it out.  Ask for help.  Complete on time and have a great Christmas break grade free!

The Leadership Team spent a good amount of time discussing the pros and cons of combining the Core Fair & parent conferences in March.  We were flexible and looked at it from many directions and yet still decided to go for it.  The expectation here is to downsize from previous Core Knowledge Fairs.  We are still aiming to display the learning of students.  Review the targets and adjust projects.  Consider items that can be suspended or hung on the walls.  We can collect and move tables to the hall rather than student desks.  Student led conferences were suggested but are not mandatory.  If you want to try them but need training we could do some short collaboration sessions or book studies to support your efforts, just let me know.

Monday fifth (8:00), fourth (10:30) and second (1:00) grades are scheduled to meet with the math coach again.

Tuesday members from the State Department of Education will be in District conducting the Federal Programs review.  They will be in our building for a couple of hours to interview staff and parents.  Since we are a "schoolwide" program rather than a "targeted assistance" program we consider ALL teachers to be Title I teachers, ALL EAs to Title I EAs and all students to be Title I students.  Aaron and Cindy have tried to notify everyone that will be interviewed, but the team may select others since we are schoolwide.

1 comment:

  1. In the afternoon recess at 1:50, fourth and fifth graders are out together. They have started playing football together. We need to decide where each of those two grades should play their football and soccer games.

    ReplyDelete