Constitution Day is September 17 - In 2004, the U.S. Congress enacted Public Law 108-447, Section 111(b) requiring that "each educational institution that receives federal funds for a fiscal year shall hold an educational program on the United States Constitution on September 17 of such year for the students served by the educational institution." Idaho's legislators throughout the years have recognized the importance of understanding the United States Constitution as a living document and its impact on our everyday lives by adopting Idaho Code 33-1602, "instruction in the Constitution of the United States shall be given in all elementary and secondary schools". Additionally, Idaho Code 73-108B identifies that, "September 17 shall be designated as constitutional commemorative day." As a result, all local education agencies receiving federal funds must teach about the U.S. Constitution on September 17th of each year. A list of available resources to help you design an instructional program for Constitution Day is available at http://www.sde.idaho.gov/site/social_studies/.
I have asked Lise to work on a small schoolwide assembly at the flag pole for this. I also suggested to Toni that we could do another human flag type activity (another shape?) and have Dorian photographers come take a professional full school photo. I didn't hear back from Toni but if you had ideas or support for this I'm sure we could talk her into it! We will hang the Constitution framed picture that Susan donated last year. Look for it around our new bistro table.
Please comment with any suggestions or ideas you may have for Constitution Day.
Thursday classes have begun work on the National Anthem. That's as far as we've gotten, but it's going to be terrific!
ReplyDeleteFrom Toni- to the human flag activity. I will be willing to organize that if I know what we want it to look like and where and when we are doing it.
ReplyDelete