I would like to do a quick check up of GT/Advanced learners plans and progress with grade level teams. We are half way through our second year of the new format for meeting the needs of these students. I have been pressuring Angie and Nicole to be actively involved and I know that is somewhat difficult with them being here part time. I think we should take a quick look at the plans that were written and ensure that these students are growing and be sufficiently challenged. Conferences will be here before we know it and I want everyone to feel confident in answering these points for parents. Please decide if it is best to visit during your planning time, collaboration or after school one day next week. It would obviously be best if Nicole & Angie were available to join us.
I have placed census materials in your mailboxes. You are under no obligation to do anything with these, but I thought it wouldn't hurt if you sent home the parent letters. The first half of the booklet has parent letters in English and Spanish version is in the back. You do not have to stuff these in folders. You can simply send them home. The card has suggested ideas. If the census fits with your grade level standards feel free to utilize.
78% of survey respondents say that they no longer need or utilize our copy volunteers. I think this is great news. It indicates that we are making many less copies than before. It is still important to do prior planning and preparation. We can help out at the office with occasional emergencies. If you still want to use the copy basket, EA's and volunteers will still assist with copy needs.Remember when you send students to the office for discipline you need to submit a note or call as soon as reasonably possible, letting me know your concerns or expectations. Unbelievable as it may seem, students do not always "know" or divulge the entire situation. I find I often come up short in how I respond due to lack of information. I need to know if they simply need recovery time or more intense intervention. What are your expectations before they can return to your classroom?
Recently Saralyn Myers, school nurse in training did a research project with our fifth grade students. She had them complete a health survey. Here are her interesting findings. :)https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id=0AWqsK3xv-vYsZG0zOTI1al80OWdtcmJ4Y2hq&hl=en

What is the cost of upgrading the sound system to include the FM system to the ceiling speakers?
ReplyDeleteNo cost to wire your system through the ceiling speakers. BUT to upgrade to what we installed in Anna and Susan's rooms would be $1,000 each.
ReplyDeleteOuch, where would this type of money come from, if I may ask? Could it be part of the bond?
ReplyDeleteI paid for the two out of technology budget because they were the last two rooms without a system. Anna has a student with a significant hearing loss that requires some audio assistance. It was cheaper to add while we were installing projectors than to do it later. Future funding would have to come from grants. I think we are going to have to be aggressive with grants in the future for things we want to upgrade.
ReplyDelete