Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thursday, October 18, 2012

A big thank you for all of the lovely Boss'Day wishes and gifts. When I stated that you measure a leader by those who follow, and turned around to show there was no one behind me - it was a good illustration of what a wonderful staff I have out in front of me. It came through again when the reporter asked if I was the one who started the single-sex classes. I responded by telling him that, yes I was the principal but it was teachers, looking at research that asked for the change that led to such great student improvement. So whether I lead you, push you, follow you or support you.......I'm still glad I got all the really cool gifts. :) The gifts included the $130 to Dick's Sporting Goods, a Kohl's gift card, coffee (delivered), a coffee gift certificate, pink golf balls (which Tevin would like to confiscate) and the encouraging and supportive comments in multiple cards. I wish I could give each of you your own special day. Thank you for mine.


 Continuing with the thank you theme - this one won't fit in the sidebar. The first grade team accepted the challenge to include in their professional goals a significant increase in reading proficiencies as measured by the spring IRI. This team has worked hard, as you all have, over the past years, making AYP through the increase percentage rather than hitting the full target. After writing their goals they sought out comparison data and used their collaboration time to ask and listen to teachers from the other schools regarding intervention programs. While I want to celebrate their efforts of seeking answers, I also want to acknowledge what they have achieved in the past. The data provided to us clearly indicates what great work they have already accomplished. Looking at last year's data for example, our group of students began with only 48% proficient and finished the spring at 65% (the other schools started higher than our ending point).  The comparison between the schools shows that although we are obviously not on a level playing field, our teachers work hard to score a significant uphill win for kids. Take time to celebrate what you have accomplished while you continue to push on for bigger goals. Thank you first grade team!

Wednesday and Thursday, October 24 & 25, Middleton is hosting a Discovery Education training to develop leadership within schools.  We have a couple reserved spots if you would like to take the lead for our school.  I do need to know today (Friday) so that Aaron can get us registered.   This is separate from the Day of Discovery that is available on Saturday, October 27, 2012.



Next Monday after school our SWPBIS will meet. I am grateful to have Angie Davis, trained facilitator, to lead us in formalizing our work. As the committee focuses on the organizational aspect we are asking each grade level to hold a discussion around consistent consequences. Angie put a suggested list in representative's boxes. Please provide input to create an agreed upon consequence list. We will then have a staff meeting to review the purpose and vision for SWPBIS on Monday, October 29th at 3:00 in the library. Please plan to attend.

I am excited about some work I have been doing with Paige Goodson to create a new professional development technology class for teachers.  (NNU credit available.)  The course is designed for ANYONE, of various levels, to gain experience with some of the new technologies prescribed for education. We will use a technology platform (My Big Campus) to encourage participants to try new things while learning to make quality decisions about what, when, where and why. We will host the first class in person with the remainder sessions online.  We will also offer face to face support occasionally - the blended model. Watch for registration information soon. The name of the course says it all: I Have It, Now What Do I Do With It?

Deseret Industries has a job preparation program that is offering to pay Julie Booth to work at our school for up to three months.  She will gain experience as a paraprofessional while studying for her Praxis.  I am not sure when she will start but I do know that you will welcome her and provide feedback and training as we work together.

1 comment: