Friday, July 27, 2012

July 26, 2012 Update

I just returned this evening from the Best Practices Workshops in Wendell.  Suzette and I traveled together, while I know a few others are scheduled in Payette next week.  Again this year we were provided a good variety of content.  We attended a few technology sessions, also a few on assessment (Smarterbalance), Six +1 Writing, and of course the Common Core. 
  • Monday the CCSS Assessment training will begin at 8:30.  I will have treats out at 8:00 but plan to start on time please.  Lunch is on your own but for any who wish to have pizza delivered we can collect and call in a Garbonzo order (they miss us).  We should finish the day around 3:00. 
  • I am thrilled to announce that kindergarten teachers helped me interview this week to fill the half-time position vacated by Shauna taking the second grade spot.  We interviewed five candidates and had a difficult time choosing (nice to find out there are many quality candidates still in the wings.) The winner is Kyle Martin - and excited young man with a passion for teaching.
  • Lisa and I return to contract on Monday.  If you want to check out keys that morning I'm sure Lisa would be happy to assist you.  
  • In June the School Board, required by law, imposed their 'last best offer' after the MEA failed to ratify the negotiated contract.  The last best offer included adding three days back to the certified contract.  The calendar committee met prior to the completion of negotiations to set the additional days - two of which will be the traditional October State Inservice days.  Schools had some flexibility to the third day, yet all are being added back to August allowing teachers a bit more preparation for the start of the year.  Teacher's first day will be Friday, August 17th.
  • Many teachers have participated in workshops, classes, and conferences this summer.  I'm also hearing about many new apps and websites that people have experienced at want to share.  We will not have much time in our first few days, but please be prepared to share a couple of highlights from your experiences with colleagues.

No comments:

Post a Comment