Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Calendar

This is the proposed 2010-2011 school calendar that will be presented to the school board tonight for approval. You will notice many changes, the first being the loss of days before school. Normally we have Open House Tuesday, August 24th, the night before school starts. This has been a great help to families to bring supplies, meet the teacher and comfort kids in knowing where to go the next morning. It has also made our first morning easier, since last minute registration takes place and we have less parents wandering the halls. I am curious as to your opinion of when to do Open House this next year and would love to have you vote in the poll. I will have to make the decision soon, in order to place in our student handbook before printing.

Other changes include:
•Staff Days cut to 179.5
•Student Days cut to 169 (we will be adding minutes to the school day)
•Staff to return to school August 23 (not 17th) Expect meetings & inservice
•First day of school - August 25
•Last day of school - May 27
•No Spring Parent/Teacher Conferences
•No School: October 8 (There will be school on October 7)
•No School: Feb. 22 (day after President's Day to lobby legislature?)
•Work days at end of quarter will be just half days (NO inservice time)

6 comments:

  1. I might be wrong but I dont think we have to add time- I think it is the high school that had time problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We come up short in Kindergarten, plus we need to add time for the days we are subtracting so we don't lose student contact time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the same for EA'S as well? This will cut down on what will be ready for the first day of school. Will expectations then change for readiness of rooms?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, thanks for the advance look at the new 10-11 schedule, and also for the voting opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't understand the question of room readiness expectations? Of course I expect you to be ready for students on August 25th. What are you thinking you would leave out? We will help you to the best of our ability. I will do as much communication as possible via blog, email and TV so staff meeting time reduced. We will have staff meetings the first several weeks rather than as much before school starts. Classified will be set to areas to assist (copies, die cuts, whatever). We could delay start of specials till the following week and assign music, PE, library, counselor, computer lab to focus on classroom preparedness for regular ed teachers. How else can I support?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think teachers may rethink how and why they do certain things in preparation for the beginning of the school year. It all depends on what you can live with... A couple of years ago I decided not to make student labels. Instead, my boys wrote their own names on their folders, name tags, etc. I think it added a little personality, and for at least one boy, it added empowerment. He thought only his mother or his teacher could label his stuff. Perfectionism may not need to go out the window, it just might have to ride in the back seat.

    ReplyDelete