Thursday, June 10, 2010

More Daily Student Contact Time

With the reduction of three student days to next year's revised calendar, we are to add seven minutes of student contact time to our daily schedules. The three elementary principals have been discussing the issue since we need to have uniformity. In doing so I have realized two things. One being were are currently the only school offering three recesses for all of our students. Secondly, we are short yearly hours for our fourth and fifth grade students. I would welcome feedback on this issue as I try to create schedules. Let your colleagues know about this posting so that we can gather as much input as possible. Again, we do have to have uniformity with the other two elementary schools, so we do not have autonomy on the issue.

Already decided is the fact that we will start our day five minutes earlier; tardy bell at 8:15. Afternoon kindergarten will also begin five minutes earlier, 11:45 A.M.
We are still required to add two minutes for all so that we don't reduce student contact hours.
The five minutes from 8:15 start plus shortening lunch for 4/5 by five minutes only gets us 866 hours of the required 900 for the year. If we take out one 10 minute recess, we get 902 hours. Bingo! So, here are some options:
  • 4/5 take out either AM (15 min) or PM (10 min) recess depending on their specials schedule (thinking specials offer a brain and body break)
  • 4/5 keep lunch the same and take out the 15 minute recess (currently AM)
  • Add the extra two minutes for all at the end of day - dismiss at 2:52
  • Add the extra two minutes for all at lunch - reducing each lunch recess time by two minutes.
  • Add the extra two minutes for all at recess - shorten morning recess by two minutes.

Post comments here for discussion sake. You may call or email me if you want to give feedback directly. :) rgilbert@msd134.org

8 comments:

  1. Much of the reading I've been doing talks about the importance of play. Recess is good. Kids need to socialize and run. I say no to taking recess away. Specials offer a break but not social time. If we take all social contacts out of school and put in only instruction, how are we any different from an online program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I meant to say was to shorten morning recess. I'll get off the soapbox. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add 2 minutes to the day. I agree with Jayna. Don't take away any recess time. Kids need a break to run and get some fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the add 2 min at the end of the day that way I wont be late if I just think like last years schedule.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm for adding 2 minutes at the end of the day. I do already if you've noticed my class trailing out to the buses....:)

    This year a.m. recess was 10 minutes and p.m. was 15. I liked offering the choice: would you like to spend your time in the morning or the afternoon? They always picked one and it was usually morning - they knew the afternoon recess was longer. Boys are so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mornings are 3 1/2 hours, afternoons are 2 1/4 hours. If students have to miss a recess, I would advise it to be in the afternoon.

    I would not want students to view their specials as a replacement for recess. They have much to learn in those classes and a negative attitude could get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The students need their recess and so do the teachers. I say add 2 minutes to the day. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding 2 minutes to the end of the day gets my vote. I prefer not to mess with recesses and lunch.

    ReplyDelete