Thursday, February 25, 2010

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dr. Seuss' birthday is Tuesday. The PTA is planning to decorate the building and is encouraging students to dress like their favorite character from his books. We do have a collection of books that you can share with your class.

Darcy has sent out a number of emails regarding the Core Knowledge Fair as a follow up to our meeting on Wednesday. If you have projects that need completed, signs made or other tasks please keep the office informed. They can direct substitutes to these needs during teacher planning times or after school. It was decided to keep the costumes as part of the event, but to attempt to be frugile while planning.

There is a large amount of research behind the use of manipulates for learning math concepts at all ages. According to a recent poll, staff indicated that they would benefit from training on how to use math manipulatives. Tom Farley has developed teacher training around this topic. The first of our math manipulative training will take place Tuesday afternoon at 3:00 in the library. All teachers (and EAs that assist with math instruction) should attend. Four other sessions will be scheduled in the near future.

The annual carnival is just around the corner. During our last meeting the parent advisory decided to develop themes for the class baskets and then have teachers sign up for those themes. They would like to get the themes out to teachers in time to advertise during Parent Teacher Conferences.

2 comments:

  1. I'm wondering if grade level baskets would be a better idea rather than classroom baskets. As I look at my students' families, I'm not sure that I will get enough items to fill a basket. I have always added to my classroom basket and I will be unable to do so this year. Just an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if we did it by buddy classes so that we only reduce # of baskets in half rather than two-thirds.
    Is that the proper fractional statement?

    ReplyDelete